Monday, August 10, 2015

Thinking Out Loud

I was browsing over a list of transgender people who have lived across the ages. The list is quite extensive. It goes throughout all cultures, races, religions, and timelines. Here i the United States the transgender issue has come to the fore of numerous conversations in recent years. 

I've taken a keen interest in the Stonewall Riots of 1969 in New York City to make sure that it is historically accurate. Those who are trying to erase the transgender people's participation is something I cannot let happen.  I've read about Christine Jorgenson, Magnus Hirschfeld, Sylvia Rivera, Miss Major, Marsha P. Johnson, the Dewey Lunch Counter Sit-in of 1965 in Philadelphia, Cathay Williams, Janet Mock, Keith Cylar and many other people and events. What this tells me is that we have a very rich history.

When I was in grade school I absolutely HATED history. When I was 35 I had changed my whole view of history. Now that I'm transgender, I find it vitally important, something not to be taken for granted. Seems that I have become a historian not because I wanted to but because I needed to.

No comments: