Thursday, February 05, 2015

First Time In Church As A Woman

Today, I was reflecting on the first time I wore women's clothing in church. It was a church that I visited from time to time when I wanted to pray and meditate. A week earlier I visited this church dressed as a male. I wanted to dress the way that I believe and know that I am-a transgender woman. 

The following week I wore a light blue flower print maxi skirt, blue pullover and sandals. When I entered the sanctuary it felt right. I felt no guilt or shame. I didn't know at the time but a midday service was going to be held. I stayed for the half hour service.When the time for passing the peace was announced I shook hands with several people. None suspected that I was trans.

This was significant to me because I'm an active church goer and am involved with a couple of activities. A few years later, I came out to the congregation of my church. It has been one of the many defining moments in my life. 

When God saved me forty odd years ago it included everything about me including my being transgender. Those of us who are born again are of all races, sexual orientations, and genders. God is no respecter of persons. We are all welcome at his table.

No comments: