Saturday, November 23, 2013

TDOR-It is Still Relevant

As you notice, I haven't posted here in several days. I wasn't feeling well, my sister was admitted into the hospital and found out that she had pneumonia. She home now and has a home aid to help out.

I did attend Transgender Day of Remembrance this past Wednesday. There were speakers, testimonies, and conversation. There were candles lit in remembrance of those we lost. I was moved by the testimony of a man who was taught many things by a transgender woman. The woman committed suicide. He paid his respects, thanking her for making a difference in his life. I hugged him before I went on. After the event, I saw him sitting on a bench in the hallway. I encouraged hi to stay strong. I told him that she will always be in his heart. 

I met a young cross dresser in the beginning stages of her transition. Elsie was happy to have come because she saw the many expressions of gender. I have been attending these events for the past eight years. Time has seen much progress but there's still a long way to go. It still hurts that so many are lost to violence and suicide. I said a few words encouraging every one to stay the course. People have taken notice that we mean business. 

No comments: