Friday, September 24, 2010

Second Autumn

Here it is the first official day of autumn and it's suppose to be 90 degrees. Maybe it's summer getting in its last bit of warmth before the chilly winds of October move in. Fall is my favorite time of year, anyway.

I am reminded that the collage of the landscape changes in hues of red, yellow, orange, and brown. It doesn't mean that everything is dying; it's just like a second birth. I think of warm apple cider, pumpkins, kites flying, football, and the feeling of contentedness. Autumn summons up the creativity in me that can last throughout the cold months of winter ( I will write about winter in a later post).

Autumn reminds me of those of us who are middle age and older. Society says that we should just retire and enjoy what years we may have remaining. It's as if we have nothing further to contribute. A great treasure is being ignored by shunting us middle agers and seniors to the side. I believe that many young people miss out on some valuable experiences we have to share. I thank God for the the time he has given me but I know that he has more for me to do.

There have been warm summer days where I have basked in the glow of sunshine and activity. Autumn signifies change and there has been much change in my life. It's the same me, just wiser and more experienced as to what it means to be transgender. These autmns will always be a part of me.

~Genevieve

No comments: