Monday, September 20, 2010

Old Haunts

My wife and I talked about the people we knew and places we lived when we were kids. She talked of hanging out with friends in the park. The guys she knew made beleive that they were rock and roll singers, singing doo wap and other genres. She expressed a desire to visit the old neighborhood to reminisce those days. I encouraged her to do so.

In past posts, I posted my forays into my old haunts. My wife and I agreed that those influences affects us today so many years later. I remarked that while many things have changed what is inside of us hasn't. I'm not a nostalgic person, longing for those past days but they remind me of where I've been. In a unique way it reminds me of where I may be heading.

I see much of the same concerns now that I did in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Hunger, drugs, alcohol, disillusionment (plenty of that), and hopelessness. I also see the hope that could be brought when people see that they can still make a difference. A holisitic approach is needed to help folks find solutions to their concerns. I am a optimistic person who tries to see the potential in others. Sharing that they are of value can lift many a dispirited person.

~Genevieve

No comments: