Thursday, July 30, 2009

LIFE'S CURVES

In baseball, it is known that if you can't hit the curve ball, you may have some difficulty hitting for a high average. When I made an aborted tryout in pro baseball, it was a curve ball from the pitcher that convinced me that my dream was over.

Another curve was throw my way when I discovered that I was a transgender person. I was confused, shocked, and afraid. I didn't know where this revelation would lead. Jesus' ministry threw curves at a rigid and staid religious hierarchy. He demonstrated another way where all people were accepted.

If would be easier if life moved in a linear pattern. Then the question comes up as to what do we do when our lives go off track? Does it mean we are going in the wrong direction? could it mean the loss of possessions? Could it be a change in our philosophy about life? Change is going to happen. It's how we handle those changes that come.

Never in my life did I imagine that being transgender would be part of the plan for my life. Curves can be a blessing if we can see the bigger picture. Perhaps there is something we need to experience and learn before we continue on our journey. Perhaps there is someone who needs to see that we are willing to embrace the changes that come and profit from it. I'm positive that many struggling folks have been blessed by others who are willing to live their lives openly.

In baseball, the batter needs patience and discipline in order to hit a curve ball. Overanxiousness will cause him to swing at a bad pitch. Changes need not cause anxiety but an opportunity to see what good thing may be in store for us.

Genevieve

2 comments:

Tim said...

Genevieve, this is simply beautiful. Curves can be a blessing; in fact they usually are. Thank you for this!

genevieve said...

Thanks, Tim.