Sunday, June 21, 2009

Being a Father and Husband

Being a father is one of the greatest responsibilities in society. Fathers mold their sons and daughters to be responsible and productive citizens. Fathers should treat theirs spouses with love and respect. I'm a transgender person who takes this responsibility seriously.

When I discovered that I was a crossdresser and transgender, I wondered how this would affect my family. I've never wanted a lot of things but a good marriage was certainly one. I was also conscious of how this wold affect my relationship with my son. Whether or not I wore women's clothing I was still his father.

Everything has worked out quite well. My wife was shocked when I came out to her. In time she has come to accept my transgenderism. I told my son a year later and he was cool with it. He wondered why I didn't tell him sooner. I'm still the same husband and father I was before declaring my transness. I feel that I'm a better father since I came out because I am complete and liberated.

To all the fatehrs out there, HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

Genevieve

2 comments:

Paula said...

I love hearing how committed you are to your marriage and family. It must have taken SO MUCH COURAGE to come out to your family, but it looks like God has really blessed you for being dedicated to them as a husband and father. He's blessing you for imitating the dedication that He shows us as our Father!

Tim said...

Paula took the words right out of my mouth. But I'd like to add one thing--a great father must be an honest father, truthful inside and with those whose lives depend on and are shaped by a father/husband's integrity. You prove that, Genevieve. Your honesty has not only made you a better father--it's made your wife a better mother and your son a better child.

Those to whom much is given much is required, Scripture says. What wonderful gifts you've received from your Father--and how wonderfully you've honored their demands.

Joy and love always to you, and belated Father's Day blessings!