Sunday, November 23, 2008

TDOR

On Thursday, I attended the annual Transgender Day of Remembrance ceremonies at the community center here in New York. About 200 people marched around the block carrying candles in honor of those lost to violence. Back at the center, there were speakers and comments from people in the audience. Many related their experiences as transpeople and what the day meant to them. One trans man shared that he is still recovering from being attacked and raped.

I have ambivalent feelings about TDOR; I mourn for my brothers and sisters lost to violence and yet I am encouraged by the progress we have made. There were many young people present so I am confident that the future will be bright for transgender people. They are open about who they are and will not go into the closet.

On reflection, it is my duty that I attend TDOR. It's time for transgender people to stand up and make our presence felt. TDOR encourages me to keep pressing on in the march to transgender equality. I had the chance to read reports of TDORs in other parts of the country ad the world. Some places such as Africa have it worse tan we do here in the states. I am in full supports of my brothers and sisters all around the world. I pray that in the next year equality will be closer to reality.

Genevieve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet attended a transgender day of remembrance, but hope to do so sometime soon in the future.