Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obama Wins; Propositions Lose

I was riveted to the tv while I watched Barack Obama deliver his speech to an enthusiastic crowd of supporters in Chicago. My parents never had the chance to see this historic day. People want to see that they have a future in which THEY can help shape and create. Obama gives them that hope.

When I read my e-mails today I saw that the propositions in California, Arizona, Arkansas, and Florida had passed. This was a blow to gays and lesbians. It's true that Obama was opposed to gay marriage but he was against Prop 8 in California; something that was not brought out to those trying decide which way to vote. Looking ahead, I see how this could affect transgender people and their families. We catch enough hell as it is and this defeat demonstrates that there's still much work ahead.

Just as I encourage my GLB bretheren to stay the course, it behooves my transgender family to work unceasingly for the legislation that will affect us. ENDA is a start. Education is still needed in the black community and in the white community. What rattles around in my brain is did some of these people really understand what these propositions were about? Sadly, many rely on what others say about something rather than doing their own homework.

I applaud Equality California, Equality Arizona and Equality Florida for their efforts. I applaud the many volunteers who were out canvassing households to educate them. Don't feel discouraged; you no doubt have gained some allies. You have gained one in me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was truly a bitter-sweet day. Though the overwhelming joy at this historic election is hard to dampen. Even a rise in bigotry in some of our most progressive states cannot take the smile off my face.

We are stand at the start of a field full of great opportunities.