Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SEEKER

I have been reading and writing a lot. I am presently reading an excellent book 'Thomas Merton: My Brother'. I have fallen in love with this man's work. His books have expanded my horizons because I'm a seeker. Merton (1915-1968) was a seeker. He was a man who was in tune with the issues of his day. Some may dismiss Thomas Merton because of his religious zeal. His was a quest for God and a deep concern for his fellow man.

I am seeking to integrate what I am learning with the transgender issues that concern me. Merton 's thoughts and ideas are relative today. In my opinion, Thomas Merton would be grieved by the bigotry and prejudice by society against transgender and gender variant people.I go through those periods where I come upon another road and decide whether or not to cross it. It seems that I'm gently nudged in this direction. There's no fear or trepidation because I have an inner peace about where things are headed. At this point I'm wondering if the future involves working with transgender people wihich I would certainly love to do.

I have been out more as a transgender woman. It has nothing to do with telling everyone I'm trans but my being out in public expressing who I am. Action does speak louder and this is something that I believe I need to do. I crossed a huge threshhold two weeks ago walking through my neighborhood wearing women's clothing. Two years ago I was apprehensive. Now it's no sweat. I have shared some of what is happening in my life. There's so much going on inside that it would take many blogs to comment. The journey will continue.

Genevieve

No comments: