Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Radical Church

I am fascinated by the make up of the first Christian church. There were people in attendance who were not normally welcomed in other religious settings. There were women, the poor, the lame, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, tax collectors, robbers..you get the picture. Jesus opened up the way when He died on the cross for our sin and broke down the barriers that separated people.

It didn't matter if you were Jew, gentile, male, female, rich, poor, reputable or had a reputation of ill repute. Many came to the first church because they were inclusive of everyone. This was quite radical in the patriarchial society of that time.

I have no doubt that there LGBT people there too. I believe that this is the type of church that is needed today. All inclusive of every one regardless of gender expression, sexuality, or race. The way I see it, it is the Christian church that can set the tone for including transgender people in their congregations. There are transgender and gender variant people who need love and acceptance. They need someone to share with them that they are loved and that God loves them. God hasn't called me to the ministry but I look forward to a day that the church is truly ALL inclusive.

2 comments:

David B. Hester said...

Amen! The Bible says there is neither Jew nor Greek Male nor Female Bod or free for we are all one in Christ! Praise God for your blog. Please visit davidhester.blogspot.com for a ministry like you are discribing.

Thanx,

Avery

genevieve said...

Hi, Avery. Thanks for the compliment. I did look at your blog the other and I like it. I would like to add it to the list of my favorite blogs if it's okay with you?

Genevieve