Thursday, June 27, 2024

STONEWALL RIOTS

I wasn't there on that hot night of June 28, 1969 (out of town). I returned to the city a few nights later and trekked right down to the Stonewall. The street was a mess. 

Two things came to my mind. One, Greenwich Village wasn't poor by any stretch so something like this happening was unthinkable. Second, surveying the situation this was the start of some big. I was a twenty year old student at time.

Looking back, the folks who protested that night laid the ground work where I could transition without the thought of being arrested. Contrary to what some may or may not acknowledge, there WAS a trans presence there that night. 

I am greatful to those folks who came before me. Many of them are not here but their presence is felt by me and others.











No comments: