Saturday, September 12, 2020

COMMENTARY

I am of the mind that if one holds a position on a topic, they should be able to defend their position in a rational and constructive manner.  For example, to say that someone opposes something because of his/her religious convictions does nothing to explain to me their position. What are their convictions and why they believe what they believe? 

The way transgender and gender non conforming people are sometimes treated led me to write this commentary. We are called demonic, perverts, and not worthy of living. What happened to Layleen Polanco in 2019 at Rikers Island as a result of neglect and, in my mind, bias. When someone claims to love God but hates someone because they are different, then they go against the God they claim to love and worship. 

I'm willing to learn something new if I don't know anything about the subject. To take a position on something one knows little or nothing about does nothing for anyone. Comments such as 'it goes against my religious beliefs' or 'I don't believe in science' or 'you are a racist' does nothing to explain why one believes what they believe. 

No comments: