Friday, September 20, 2013

Transgender Day Of Remembrance


With the murder of Islan Nettles last month I am thinking what to say at Transgender Day of Remembrance in November. Recently transgender women were murdered in Los Angeles and Baton Rouge. Islan's murder happened a mile or so from my residence. While I'm not afraid I am wary.

There have been a number of transgender women of color killed this year. With transgender visibility on the uptick, I'm not surprised by all the transphobic vitriol being spewed out. I also see transgender people standing up, not going to take all this junk anymore.  I'm not taking any of it either. I am out in my neighborhood and in other parts of New York City. Been so for over eight years now.

 I encouragetrans people to be who they are and be bold. We are on the right side of history. I have dedicated TDOR to Islan.  

No comments: