Friday, June 11, 2010

Remember Those Who Are Struggling

June is here and so are many pride events. People will be participating in various event all around the world showing their pride in who they are. My transformation has been quiet and subtle for the most part. I am happy with what has happened and look forward to what lies ahead.
Even during this month of LGBT pride, I can't help but think about all the folks who are struggling with their gender identity and sexuality. I am a member of a number of forums. The main need I have been helping out is encouraging folks to be themselves. I'm happy about the progress that's been made but there's so many who are still hurting. Homophobiaand transphobia are still strong.
I came out late in life (five years ago at age 56). The past several days my thoughts have been on folks who are my age and still struggling with guilt and shame. My heart goes out to them because I know what the cost could be if they decided to live an authentic life. I was faced with this when I came out to my wife and son. Thankfully, they are both accepting. I know some who have lost everything. I may have to come to some others for various reasons. I am prepared for what could happen. I have decided to live an authentic life.
As we celebrate pride, I'm mindful of many who are hurting. After all the events are over, there's still somuch that needs to be done. I wish that I could meet the folks face to face who are
struggling so I could encourage and hug them. This is what this month means to me-helping those who need it.

~Genevieve

1 comment:

Tim said...

Genevieve, this touches me to the core. In our parades and celebrations, we very seldom consider those who watch from a distance, longing to be where we are. We must find these people and bring them into the joy of self-acceptance and growth!

Thank you for this reminder. It actually brings focus to something I've been struggling to wrap my arms around!

Blessings,
Tim