Sunday, January 10, 2010

An Inspiring Quote

I listened to a message by Sister Paula (www.sisterpaula.org) today. She read from an article by John Shelby Spong, a retired Episcopal bishop. I recommend that you listen to her latest podcast in its entirety.

In the article Sister Paula read, she quoted from him that justice postponed is justice denied. Pondering over the words, it shows the fallacy of incrememental justice. THis logic is used against blacks, women, Hispanics , Native Americans, Asians and GLBT men and women. Sadly this institutional church has fomented much of the bigotry against GLBT people. What Bishop Spong mentioned that he wasn't going to argue any more with bigoted 'preachers' who actions do not demonstrate the love of Jesus.

Bishop Spong's words remind me of a quote in scripture 'don't throw pearls to swine'. It reminds me that it's a waste of time to educate folks that aren't going to change. I'd rather speak with folks who may not know about transgender people or issues. There are many who do not understand what gay and lesbian people have to put up with. As I see it, I need to be careful not waste my time talking to the wall.

~Genevieve

1 comment:

Monica Roberts said...

it's a kissing cousin quote to 'justice delayed is justice denied' by MLK