Monday, December 26, 2005


This is my first Christmas as a transgender person. The only difference is the types I have on my wish list. I would love for someone to give me a lavender night gown or a black negligee. See how my prioritites have changed! Anyway, I like this better; a transgender Christmas!
I read Kate Bornstein's excellent book; "Gender Outlaw." It is one of the most personally challenging books I have ever read. Ms. Bornstein talks about her transsexual experiences (male to female), the infighting among transgender folks, and the need to see beyond gender identity. Her gender fluidity makes her hard to define. I can relate to Ms. Bornstein's feelings because I feel the same way as a crossdresser. There are days that I feel masculine, feminine,both, queer, and other gender descriptions.
The other point she makes is that theater should be an evolving medium. Staid theater makes for lousy plays and bored audiences. Her play "Hidden: A Gender" is challenging to gender defenders and to those whose idea of what gender is and is not may be found wanting.
Another point Ms. Bornstein makes is that transgender folks need to work together. The transvestite suffers the same violence and oppression as the she-male and the trannseexual.
Transgenders and transvestites (especially people of color) were at the front lines of the battles for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender rights. I rate this book a "9". "Gender Outlaw" is a great read for all in the transgender community.

No comments: